Facing extremely hot temperatures, over 100 alumni, friends and family joined together for Norfolk Collegiate School’s Annual Dr. John W. Baker Golf Classic June 10 at Bayville Golf Club.
“We were very pleased for such a great turnout." said Kay Stine, director of development.
"The golf outing not only benefits the betterment of the school; it also provides a scholarship to a deserving junior,” she said. Annually, the Dr. John W. Baker Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a student who displays characteristics of genuine caring and concern for others, as well as well-rounded leadership qualities in a variety of areas.
Participants played four person Florida Best Ball and despite the smoldering weather, were in good spirits. There was no hole-in-one, but many attempted a birdie on the green.
Late in the afternoon there was a 30-minute rain delay. However, when the storm ended, players headed back to the green to complete their games. Soaring temperatures and lightning could not stop the determination of participants.
“The golf classic is a good way to give and have fun doing it. I’m very appreciative of the support of this event and look forward to next year,” said Stine.
This year’s award winners were announced in three flights:
1. Jamie Brookover, Geoff Clark, Jesse Meyers, Carlisle Wroton
2. Randy Dinzler, Paul Campbell, Eric Mastel, John Trinder
3. Chris Kanter, Steve Hall, Chris Paphites, Tom Forchas
1. John Bass, Craig Irwin, Ken Irwin, Kevin McElroy
2. Tom Simpson, Sam Finney, Charlie Trapani, Phil Decker
3. Lauriston Hardin, Rick Lawrence, Frank Bove, Keith Gordon
1. Sean Neary, Jimmy Bain, Leslie Doyle, Leroy Baisden
2. Richard Crouch, Casey O’Hern, Brandon Woodard, Michael Disharoon
3. Pat Baker, Bob Garris, Sandy Harris, Kent Porter